Tri-Nations Day 1 Report
Scotland got their Tri-Nations campaign underway at Leamington Spa today with three sessions of play being contested on day one.
The Scots got off to a slow start in the first session against Ireland as poor weather conditions made the Victoria Park greens challenging throughout. Ireland proved victorious in all four matches with narrow defeats for Paul Foster MBE and Derek Oliver in the men’s pairs and Hannah Smith, Claire Johnston, Lauren Baillie-Whyte and Caroline Brown in the women’s fours.
As conditions improved, Scotland had the upper hand over Ireland in the second session and managed to win three of the four games being contested. There were commanding wins for Dee Hoggan, Lauren Baillie-Whyte and Caroline Brown in the women’s triples and Stewart Anderson, Darren Burnett, Paul Foster MBE and Derek Oliver in the men’s fours. Iain McLean rounded off a strong session by clinching a 21-19 victory in the men’s singles against the experienced Gary Kelly.
In the final session of the day, Scotland took on Australia’s Gold team with the spoils being shared as both nations secured two wins each. Dee Hoggan had an epic fight back against Ellen Ryan in the women’s singles to come out on top 21-19. Paul Foster MBE and Derek Oliver made amends for their pairs defeat earlier in the day by seeing off Wayne Ruediger and Aaron Wilson with a 17-14 win.
Another three sessions of play will be contested on day two and Scotland’s two para teams will also get their games underway tomorrow. Reports from these games will be provided tomorrow evening.
SESSION ONE V IRELAND:
- Women’s Singles – Dee Hoggan 12 v Shauna O’Neill 21
- Women’s Fours – Hannah Smith, Claire Johnston, Lauren Baillie-Whyte & Caroline Brown 11 v Megan Devlin, Ashleigh Rainey, Courtney Meneely & Lara Reaney 13
- Men’s Pairs – Paul Foster MBE & Derek Oliver 16 v Sam Barkley & Martin McHugh 17
- Men’s Triples – Stewart Anderson, Iain McLean & Darren Burnett 11 v Adam McKeown, Gary Kelly & Ian McClure 23
SESSION TWO V IRELAND:
- Women’s Pairs – Hannah Smith & Claire Johnston 12 v Megan Devlin & Shauna O’Neill 21
- Women’s Triples – Dee Hoggan, Lauren Baillie-Whyte & Caroline Brown 21 v Ashleigh Rainey, Lara Reaney & Chloe Wilson 12
- Men’s Singles – Iain McLean 21 v Gary Kelly 19
- Men’s Fours – Stewart Anderson, Darren Burnett, Paul Foster MBE & Derek Oliver 19 v Sam Barkley, Adam McKeown, Ian McClure & Martin McHugh 9
SESSION THREE V AUSTRALIA GOLD:
- Women’s Singles – Dee Hoggan 21 v Ellen Ryan 19
- Women’s Fours – Hannah Smith, Claire Johnston, Lauren Baillie-Whyte & Caroline Brown 8 v Jamie-Lee Worsnop, Genevieve Delves, Chloe Stewart & Rebecca Van Asch 18
- Men’s Pairs – Paul Foster MBE & Derek Oliver 17 v Wayne Ruediger & Aaron Wilson 14
- Men’s Triples – Stewart Anderson, Iain McLean & Darren Burnett 12 v Mathew Lucas, Corey Wedlock & Carl Healey 17