2023 Youth Internationals - Day Two Report
Scotland had to settle for second place at the 2023 Youth Internationals as they agonisingly lost out to England in the last session at Ebbw Vale Bowling Club today.
The Scots made a promising start to day two by claiming 6 points out of a possible 8 against a strong Irish team this morning. Wins for the pair of Logan Kennedy and Lennon Rafferty and the rinks skipped Aaron Miller and Jamie Noon ensured Scotland maintained their 4-point advantage over England in the overall standings.
Going into the final two sessions against England the young Scottish team knew they had to match their results with the English side and that’s exactly what they done in the second session of the day. A further two victories were recorded for the triples of Sarah Roberts, Beth Isbister & Charlie Mitchell and Amy Blyth, Logan Kennedy & Lennon Rafferty which cancelled out defeats for the teams skipped by Jamie Noon and Aaron Miller.
A win and a draw in the final session of this year’s series would have been enough to see Scotland crowned champions once again but unfortunately, they only managed to record a draw in the final four matches which meant England walked away as the winners of the 2023 event. There were three narrow defeats for the teams skipped by Jamie Noon, Lennon Rafferty and Aaron Miller, whilst Beth Isbister and Charlie Mitchell managed to claim a draw in their pairs encounter.
Well done to the full Scottish team and our coaching staff on their amazing efforts throughout the weekend! We would also like to thank England, Ireland and Wales for supporting this fixture and Ebbw Vale Bowling Club for their hospitality and hosting the event.
Session One scores v Ireland:
- Pairs – Beth Isbister & Charlie Mitchell 11 v I Nolan & D Spratt 20
- Pairs – Logan Kennedy & Lennon Rafferty 18 v G Cassley & A Dodds 13
- Fours – Amy Blyth, Sarah Roberts, Zak Morrison & Aaron Miller 24 v E Prunty, I Larrigan, B Stirling & J Craig 12
- Fours – Emily Houston, Ellie Rendall, Leah McCloy & Jamie Noon 13 v E Frazer, D McElroy, B Stirling & B Hogg 6
SCOTLAND 6 – IRELAND 2
ENGLAND 6 – WALES 2
Session Two scores v England:
- Triples – Emily Houston, Zak Morrison & Jamie Noon 19 v L Adams, O Collins & R Lali 21
- Triples – Ellie Rendall, Leah McCloy & Aaron Miller 12 v T Grewall, H Roberts & C Beeton 20
- Triples – Sarah Roberts, Beth Isbister & Charlie Mitchell 20 v A Griffiths, R Russell & S Brugnoli 10
- Triples – Amy Blyth, Logan Kennedy & Lennon Rafferty 14 v E Johnson, M Tuck & O Sloan 9
SCOTLAND 4 – ENGLAND 4
IRELAND 6 – WALES 2
Session Three scores v England:
- Pairs – Beth Isbister & Charlie Mitchell 11 v T Grewal & O Collins 11
- Pairs – Logan Kennedy & Lennon Rafferty 9 v R Russell & S Brugnoli 15
- Fours - Emily Houston, Ellie Rendall, Leah McCloy & Jamie Noon 8 v A Griffiths, M Tuck, H Roberts & C Beeton 15
- Fours – Amy Blyth, Sarah Roberts, Zak Morrison & Aaron Miller 12 v E Johnson, L Adams, R Lali & O Sloan 17
SCOTLAND 1 – ENGLAND 7
IRELAND 3 – WALES 5
- 1st – England: 31 points
- 2nd - Scotland: 29 points
- 3rd – Ireland: 21 points
- 4th – Wales: 15 points