Scotland v Ireland Test Match - Day 2
Everything was still all to play for in both the men’s and women’s second test series as Scotland and Ireland entered their second days play at the National Centre for Bowling, Ayr.
Scotland’s men started off the day in impressive fashion with comfortable victories in both the singles and fours to secure victory in their second test series. Proceedings in the women’s disciplines went right down to the wire. In the pairs, Dee Hoggan and Megan Grantham were peels with their opponents at 17-each with two ends remaining. Unfortunately, the Scottish duo lost two single shots on the last two ends to finish with a 17-19 defeat. The triples suffered a similar fate as they held a 12-10 lead after 14 ends, but the Irish trio managed to win the final four ends to secure victory in their respective game and the women’s second test series.
The second session of the day saw the beginning of the third test series with both men’s and women’s sides putting in strong displays for the Scots. Their only defeat was in the men’s pairs as Ronnie Duncan and Darren Burnett lost out to Simon Martin and Martin McHugh. In the day’s final session, Scotland completed a clean sweep of wins in the women’s pairs & triples and men’s singles & fours to clinch the third test series in both men’s & women’s disciplines.
Tomorrow rounds off an excellent weekend’s high-quality bowls between the two nations with the fourth and final test series. Another report will be provided after Sunday’s two sessions of play, the final scores from today can be found below:
Session One (Test Match 2):
- Women’s Pairs - Dee Hoggan & Megan Grantham 17 v Lara Reaney & Catherine Beattie 19
- Women’s Triples - Carla Banks, Hannah Smith & Claire Johnston 12 v Chloe Wilson, Courtney Meneely & Shauna O’Neill 17
- Men’s Singles - Darren Burnett 21 v Stephen Kirkwood 14
- Men’s Fours - Ronnie Duncan, Martyn Rice, Paul Foster MBE & Alex Marshall MBE 23 v Stuart Bennett, Jack Moffett, Simon Martin & Mark Wilson 5
WOMEN’S TEST MATCH 2: SCOTLAND 2 v IRELAND 6
MEN’S TEST MATCH 2: SCOTLAND 6 v IRELAND 2
Session Two (Test Match 3):
- Women’s Singles - Dee Hoggan 21 v Catherine Beattie 9
- Women’s Fours - Hannah Smith, Megan Grantham, Carla Banks & Claire Johnston 17 v Chloe Wilson, Lara Reaney, Courtney Meneely & Shauna O’Neill 10
- Men’s Pairs - Ronnie Duncan & Darren Burnett 12 v Simon Martin & Martin McHugh 21
- Men’s Triples - Martyn Rice, Paul Foster MBE & Alex Marshall MBE 22 v Stuart Bennett, Jack Moffett & Mark Wilson 17
Session Three (Test Match 3):
- Women’s Pairs - Hannah Smith & Claire Johnston 16 v Lara Reaney & Catherine Beattie 12
- Women’s Triples - Dee Hoggan, Carla Banks & Megan Grantham 14 v Ashleigh Rainey, Courtney Meneely & Shauna O’Neill 13
- Men’s Singles - Martyn Rice 21 v Jack Moffett 15
- Men’s Fours - Ronnie Duncan, Darren Burnett, Paul Foster MBE & Alex Marshall MBE 15 v Stuart Bennett, Stephen Kirkwood, Simon Martin & Martin McHugh 6
WOMEN’S TEST MATCH 3: SCOTLAND 8 v IRELAND 0
MEN’S TEST MATCH 3: SCOTLAND 6 v IRELAND 2