Scotland v England Para Test Match: Day 1 Session One Results
Scotland narrowly lost the first of four test series this morning against England at the National Centre for Bowling, Ayr. The Scots managed to record three wins from seven matches across the physically disabled and visually impaired disciplines.
In the Physically Disabled Singles, team captain Michael Simpson had an exciting back and forth battle with Anthony Page but eventually lost 18-21 after some amazing conversation shots from both players. Scotland’s Billy Allan managed to cancel out this defeat as he won his own PD Singles match 21-18 against England’s Mike McDonagh.
Our PD Triples team of Mary Wilson, Ross Young and Stuart Stevens lost out 9-21 to a very strong English team consisting of Colin Wagstaff, Jonathan Stokes and Mike Robertson. Mark Fleming, Alex Paterson and Glen Livingston also narrowly lost out to Craig Bowler, Colin Milner and Kieran Rollings 8-13.
Ross Noble carried on his impressive form from the 2023 National Championships to defeat David Wood (with Director, Nigel Morgan) 21-9 in an excellent international debut in the VI Singles. Also making his Scotland debut, James Dick (with Director, Iain Riach) put in a top display and got the better of Sarah Marshall (with Director, Chris Vein) 21-9.
The Scottish VI Pairs team of Cat Black (with Director, Jim Aitken) and Sandy Mackintosh (with Director, Lawra Cox) unfortunately lost the deciding game of the first session. They came up against a strong performance from England’s Kevin Betteridge (with Director, Jayne Sippitts) and Sally-Ann Lewis-Wall (with Director, Elizabeth Shipley), losing out 7-21.
Another session of play will be completed today with the Scots hoping to bounce back in the second test series. Reports and scores from these games will be provided later today.
England win the first test series by 8 points to Scotland’s 6. A full breakdown of session one’s scores can be found below.
TEST SERIES ONE SCORES:
- Physically Disabled Singles – Michael Simpson 18 v Anthony Page 21
- Physically Disabled Singles – Billy Allan 21 v Mike McDonagh 18
- Physically Disabled Triples – Mary Wilson, Ross Young & Stuart Stevens 9 v Colin Wagstaff, Jonathan Stokes & Mike Robertson 21
- Physically Disabled Triples – Mark Fleming, Alex Paterson & Glen Livingston 8 v Craig Bowler, Colin Milner & Kieran Rollings 13
- Visually Impaired Singles – Ross Noble 21 v David Wood (with Director, Nigel Morgan) 9
- Visually Impaired Singles – James Dick (with Director, Iain Riach) 21 v Sarah Marshall (with Director, Chris Vein) 9
- Visually Impaired Pairs – Cat Black (with Director, James Aitken) & Sandy Mackintosh (with Director, Lawra Cox) 7 v Kevin Betteridge (with Director, Jayne Sippitts) & Sally-Ann Lewis-Wall (with Director, Elizabeth Shipley) 21
SCOTLAND 6 – ENGLAND 8