Lanarkshire South win 2022 AHT
Lanarkshire South were crowned Andrew Hamilton Trophy champions for 2022 at the National Centre for Bowling, Ayr after triumphing over Edinburgh and then Borders at today’s finals.
In the final, the game was tight throughout the opening stages, but Borders eventually managed to hold a 15-shot advantage at the 15th end mark. Defending champions, Lanarkshire South, weren’t going to hand their title over without a fight and began an inspired comeback in the last third of the match.
Counts of six for both Richie Williams and Colin Thorburn’s rinks were the turning point as Lanarkshire South continued to score across the green. They eventually took the lead and opened up a 9-shot margin by the time John Simpson against Graeme Forsyth was the last match remaining.
Congratulations to Lanarkshire South, who have now won the AHT an incredible nine out of the last 15 seasons. Commiserations to Borders who enjoyed an excellent season reaching their first ever final.
Full Rink Scores below (Lanarkshire Skips first):
- Rink 1 – John Simpson 17 v Graeme Forsyth 13
- Rink 2 – John Strachan 20 v Neil Kellet 25
- Rink 3 – Richie Williams 20 v Stuart Bebbington 23
- Rink 4 – Robert Grant 17 v Stuart White 14
- Rink 5 – Iain McLean 16 v Ian Crawford 21
- Rink 6 – Colin Thorburn 29 v Jamie Mitchell 14
LANARKSHIRE SOUTH 119 - BORDERS 110