High Performance Selection Policy
This is the selection policy for the Bowls Scotland (BS) Performance Programme effective from 9th March 2023. It contains a brief description of the programme; the criteria players must achieve to be considered for and retained on the programme as well as the selection and review process. The policy is based on The Bowls Scotland What It Takes To Win Model player skills and attributes.
The policy may be amended from time to time subject to changes in BS developing performance structure and to reflect the increasing demands of Bowls at the highest international level.
Purpose of the Programme
The objective of the BS Performance Programme is to deliver medal success at all major international competitions, culminating in the Commonwealth games every 4 years. The programme will be led by our 3 Head Coach positions which are titled as Para Head Coach, Men’s Head Coach, Women’s Head Coach.
The programme outlines a defined set of criteria and provides selected players with:
- The opportunity to access individual coaching support from the BS coaching staff as part of their agreed individual development plan.
- Focussed squad days in advance of major competition representation
- The opportunity to train within a performance focussed environment against strong opposition and gain invaluable international competition experience.
For athletes to be selected players must meet the following:
- Be eligible to represent Team Scotland/Bowls Scotland under the International Representation rules of the CGF/CGS/World Bowls
- Not currently be under disqualification or suspension under the rules of World Bowls/Bowls Scotland and be in good standing with Bowls Scotland.
- Be a member of an affiliated Bowls Scotland member club.
- Players who have demonstrated or can demonstrate the ability to medal at European, World and Commonwealth Games level or other key competitions (as identified by Head Coaches) and who can continue to excel on the world stage achieving the long-term performance objectives of Bowls Scotland
- Players considered capable of delivering podium level results in the current Commonwealth cycle.
- Players who demonstrate the potential to achieve the best results for Scotland on the world stage and have proven results at National level, European level or other key competitions deemed to be considered an appropriate standard by Head Coaches
- Players who are showing competition form and performance readiness on a consistent basis
- Ability to perform on relevant playing conditions and perform in position specific roles or perform a double skill set
- Ability to work well within a team to meet the long-term performance outcomes
- Players who demonstrate consistent results from any Squad/benchmarking days that achieve agreed scoring on specified tests.
- Players who demonstrate positive performance attitude and behaviours within and out with competition environment
Other relevant points to note:
- Achieving entry criteria for the BS Performance Programme as set out in the selection policy only means that the player could be considered for the programme; it does not give the player absolute right to inclusion.
- Irrespective of previous performances, players will only be considered for selection if they are considered to be progressing towards, or continuing to achieve the appropriate levels of performance in line with the objective of the programme.
- If more players achieve the required selection criteria than the number of places available, the selection panel will select the players considered to achieve the best outcomes for Scotland, and this will include consideration of the rate of improvement and who is considered to have the highest medal potential in both the short and the long term.
- The selection panel may decide, at its own discretion, not to utilise the full allocation of places on the Programme.
- Performance criteria must be achieved in double skill sets (position and discipline specific)
Selection and review process
The selection panel will consist of:
- High Performance Coordinator (Chair) or an appropriate Bowls Scotland member of staff
• All 3 Head Coaches
• Nominated BS Supporting Coaches
• Any other advisors where relevant
The selection panel will meet whenever necessary to review all athletes against the programme criteria and discuss nominations of new players
Other relevant information to note:
- Extraordinary selection and review meetings may be held at other times of the year as required and agreed by High Performance Coordinator and Relevant Head Coaches. This may involve from time-to-time consideration of players currently not selected to the programme but who are demonstrating exceptional current form and future potential to medal on the world stage.
- All athletes will receive the decision of the selection panel, the rationale behind the decision and a feedback comment on areas considered for development in writing.
- Players selected will sign a player agreement outlining expected engagement with the programme as well as expected performance behaviours.
- Players can be deselected in the event of non-compliance in training or competition, breach of any confidentiality requirement in relation to selection notification and/or a breach of responsibility to the team or a violation of the players agreement.
- Players can be deselected from the programme if their engagement, attitude or level of performance in competition and training does not meet the required standard to remain involved.
- Players can also be deselected from the programme based on non-attendance at designated squad days and individual coaching sessions. This will be assessed against individual athlete plan agreements and at Head Coaches discretion.
- Bowls Scotland reserve the right to review the Selection Policy when required.
Click here to view the full Bowls Scotland appeals procedure for selection.
If you have any queries regarding the above Selection Policy, please contact Adam Martin, High Performance Co-Ordinator (interim), via firstname.lastname@example.org.