Andrew Hamilton Trophy
CITIES & COUNTIES BOWLING CHAMPIONSHIP
ANDREW HAMILTON TROPHY
REGULATIONS FOR 2023 COMPETITION
- The 1st Stage of the Competition will be played in a League format, each side with 6 teams of 4.
- Games will be 21 ends. The highest total score over the 6 rinks will decide the winner. 2 points will be awarded to the winning side and in a drawn match 1 point to each side.
- 3. The first and second place teams in each section will progress to the quarter final stage. The criteria for determining ranking will be points, shots difference, shots scored and number of winning fours.
4. In the event of a tie in the aggregate score in the knock out stage then all six fours will play an extra end or ends on the same rinks, with the aggregate score of the extra end deciding the winner. Should there still be a tie then a further extra end(s) will be played to decide the winner.
- 5. 1 If, due to weather conditions, the start of a game is delayed then a review will take place after one hour by the umpire(s) in consultation with the Clubs Green keeper and/or Officials, and a BS Official, if present, with the option to:
(a) agree a further delay to the start or
(b) agree to cancel the game
5.2 In the event that a game is cancelled a new date should be agreed by mutual consent of those officials for each team present, at a meeting that day, called by the Umpire(s) on duty.
5.3 The following officials only should be in attendance ‑ the President and Secretary of each Association, or their representatives, the Bowls Scotland Official(s) if present and the Umpire(s) on duty.
5.4 If amicable agreement cannot be agreed by the Associations the Bowls Scotland Official(s), if present will fix a date, time and venue, if not present the Umpire(s) will relay the options to Bowls Scotland Competition and Events Committee, who will decide when the tie is played.
5.5 The game must take place within the following 8 days.
- 6.1 If a game is stopped during play, by mutual agreement in consultation with the Clubs Green keeper and/or Officials and cannot be resumed within 1 hour, a review will take place with the option to:
(a) agree a further delay to the restart or
(b) agree to resume the game or
(b) agree to cancel the game
6.2 A resumed game shall be resumed with the scores as they were when the game was stopped. There will be no trial ends if the game is resumed on the same day.
6.3 If 11 or more ends have been played by the competing sides, the results of the game will be decided on the scores, as at the 11th or subsequent end, all fours to complete the same number of ends.
6.4 A resumed game is a game which has properly started after the jack is delivered in the first end (trial ends do not count) and all rinks have not played at least 11 ends.
In a resumed game players must play in the same position in the same rinks.
If any number of players are not available any number of substitutes may be used.
If only 3 players play in a rink, then the score will be quartered from the end the game is resumed. The lead and second will play 3 bowls and the skip 2 bowls.
If a Skip is unavailable the third must play skip and the remaining players, including substitutes can be rearranged to play in any order.
- In deciding the results of a match in which the player(s) may fail to appear. Law 39.2 of Laws of the Sport Crystal Mark Fourth Edition whatever is applicable, will be used in calculating the aggregate score of a defaulting side.
- Coloured discs will be issued to all Associations, and these should be retained for the full series of League Games. Sponsors discs are permitted. (Opponents should be advised when these are to be used).
- Once the score sheets have been signed, they should be forwarded immediately, after conclusion of the game, by telephone or email as per the instructions on the score sheet.
10.1 Clubs who are members of more than 1 Association must nominate which Association they wish their players to represent in the event of selection. Such nomination shall be binding for a minimum period of 5 years.
10.2 A County entering 2 sides must continue on this basis for a minimum of 5 years.
10.3 Associations which have more than 1 side in the Competition must not transfer players between teams.
10.4 Players of the same Club may play for different sides within the same Association.
10.5 The side first played for commits the players for the remainder of the season.
10.6 All fours must commence play simultaneously.
10.7 Players must only be selected from Clubs in Full Membership of their Association and of Bowls Scotland.
10.8 If any Association fails to fulfil a fixture, then the opposing team shall be awarded the points for the fixture and shall also be awarded the average net shots margin of all matches completed in that round of the competition in that section. The defaulting Association will therefore lose the shots arising from that calculation. Additionally, if a player or a team fails to play at any time without satisfactory explanation then the case will be reviewed by the controlling body (Bowls Scotland Competition & Events Team) who may issue further penalties by any of the following punishments:
- No Penalty if the failure to fulfil is deemed a no-fault situation.
- A Financial Penalty which will be used to offset any expenses incurred by their opponents.
- A further Points Penalty incurred as determined suitable by the Controlling Body.
- Removal from the Competition and cancelling all results from matches already played by that association in the section that year.
- Failure to be allowed to compete in the competition in future years.
11. Draw for the Second Stage Quarter Final on Saturday 8th July 2023 at 2 pm
- Winner (North) v Runner up (South) at Monifieth BC
- Winner (East) v Runner up (West) at St Ronans BC
- Winner (South) v Runner up (North) at Condorrat BC
- Winner (West) v Runner up (East) at Port Glasgow BC
Semi-Finals & Final will be played on Saturday 15th July 2023 at National Centre for Bowling, Northfield, Ayr commencing at 10 am.
12. ALCOHOL - The presence of alcohol within the parameters of the greens is not permitted.
13. SMOKING - Smoking on the green will not be allowed by any player during play at the final, including vaping. If wishing to smoke a player must step off the green to do so.
Bowls Scotland will only apply this ruling at National Championships Stage 2, Andrew Hamilton Trophy Semi Finals and Final & Ladies Top 10 Finals played at the National Centre for Bowling.
Failure to adhere to the warning will be reported to the controlling body for consideration of what action to take, including the offending teams disqualification.
14. DRAW FOR RINKS
The following officials should be in attendance at the Draw:
- Home Secretary conducts the draw
- Two officials from each County/City.
- Bowls Scotland Official(s) if present.
- One umpire must be in attendance to observe the draw being made.
- Skips names must be written on the cards used for the draw, skips must play on the rinks as they are drawn.
15.1 As per Bowls Scotland code 7.3 Stage 2 National Championships.
16. STAMPING OF BOWLS
For the A. H. Hamilton Trophy, bowls will only require to be re-tested and re-stamped if the date stamp or the serial number is not clearly legible on all bowls (IBB, WBB and WB stamps only) .Bowls with ONLY the BIBC Stamp are ineligible.
17. GREEN SIZES - refer to Laws of the Sport Crystal Mark Fourth Edition (Bowls Scotland Variations).
Any player who, subjects their opponent or any official to physical or verbal abuse will be warned by the umpire. Failure to adhere to the warning will be reported to the controlling body for consideration of what action to take, including the players disqualification.
Back to Rules